SQS News HighlightSep 18 2014
1. What does SQS stands for?
SQS is an acronym for School of Quantitative Sciences, which in Malay stands for Pusat Pengajian Sains Kuantitatif.
2. Where is SQS located?
SQS is located in UUM Main Campus Sintok, Kedah. The SQS building is one of the main academic buildings that visitor will pass by once they enter the university from main gate. It was situated in Block B, between Block A(School of Multimedia And Technology Communication) and Block C(School of Technology Management and Logistics).
3. How do I get to SQS?
From international destinations, most flights usually enter the country through Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and from there students/visitors are able to travel using a number of transportation modes, such as by bus, train, or airplane, to SQS, UUM. Airlines company such as Air Asia, Malaysia Airlines, Firefly and Malindo Air fly from Kuala Lumpur to Alor Setar which is the capital city of Kedah. Alternatively, visitors can also use train services provided by the Keretapi Tanah Melayu Malaysia Berhad or express bus services from Hentian Puduraya or HentiaN Duta to get to Alor Setar from Kuala Lumpur. From Alor Setar, you can choose either to take a taxi from the airport, train station or feeder bus from the Shahab Perdana Bus Terminal to get to UUM/SQS.
4. What are the facilities provided by SQS?
In SQS, we try our best to ensure you get the best teaching and learning experience through our excellent facilities. These include
- Lecture room - 4 rooms
- Seminar Hall
- Tutorial room (60 pax) - 5 rooms
- Tutorial room (30 pax) - 2 rooms
- Computer lab - 4 labs
- Multipurpose room - 1 room
- Postgraduate rooms - 2 rooms for Male and Female postgraduate
5. What are the programmes offered in SQS?
In SQS, we offer both undergraduate and post graduate programmes. Our undergraduate programmes includes,
• Bachelor of Science with Honours (Decision Science) (B.Sc. (Dec. Sc.) (Hons))
• Bachelor of Science with Honours (Industrial Statistics) (B.Sc. (Ind. Stats.) (Hons))
• Bachelor of Science with Honours (Business Mathematics) (B.Sc. (Bus. Math.) (Hons)).
Meanwhile our postgraduate programmes includes,
• Master of Science (Decision Science) (M.Sc. Decision Science)
• Master of Science (Mathematics) (M.Sc. Mathematics)
• Master of Science (Statistics) (M.Sc. Statistics)
• Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.).
6. What does the Decision Science programme entails and what are the job prospects
Decision Science is the discipline that integrates functional business fields with analytical concepts and modeling, process improvement and computer based quantitative tools to make critical decisions; thus enhancing complex decision making processes and decision support.
One very significant aspect of obtaining a degree in Decision Sciences is the great number of options the person has in applying their education. Because of the background in Decision Sciences along with a strong foundation in functional areas of Business – Accounting, Marketing, Logistics, Finance, Real Estate, Insurance, Operations, Management, and Human Resources – the student may apply their skill to any of these areas. The number of potential jobs in each functional area is substantial.
7. What does the Business Mathematics programme entails and what are the job prospects
Business Mathematics is designed for students interested in pursuing business careers in which a strong analytical background is essential to analyze and solve business problems in various business functional areas. The philosophy of the program is to prepare students with a thorough under-standing of business functions and equip them with the requisite mathematical, statistical, and computer tools to solve complex problems in these functional areas. Possible career paths include actuarial and management consulting professions as well as various staff positions in manufacturing, finance, marketing and information systems. Additional jobs in business mathematics include Budget Analysts, Market Research or in Securities, Stock, and other financial Services.
8. What does the Industrial Statistics programme entails and what are the job prospects
Industrial Statistics use quantitative abilities, statistical knowledge, and communication skills to work on many challenging problems, such as:
• Estimating the safety and studying the economics of nuclear power plants and alternative energy sources (at a utility company or the Department of Energy)
• Evaluating the environmental impact of air, water, and soil pollutants (Environmental Protection Agency)
• Designing and analyzing studies to determine if new drugs and medical devices are safe and effective (Pharmaceutical company, or Food and Drug Administration)
• Estimating the unemployment rate in national level (at the Statistics Department)
• Analyzing consumer demand for products and services (at a consumer marketing firm, corporation, or consulting firm)
• Designing studies for and analyzing data from agricultural experiments to increase productivity and yield (agribusiness)
In other words, all these potential jobs can be applicable for Statistical industry graduate such as Actuarial Analyst,Actuarial Technician,Biostatistician, Biometrician,Computer Programmer,Mathematical Statistician, Operations Research Analyst, Programmer, Research Mathematician,Research Scientist or Statistician
9. Can I get a scholarship to study in SQS
Yes. There are a number of opportunities for potential students to get fundings for their study in SQS. Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM), the eminent management university, award assistantship to qualified candidates, especially those who register for Ph.D. and masters degree by full research at UUM. The financial assistantships for UUM Postgraduate students are as follows:
Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM), the eminent management university, award assistantship to qualified candidates, especially those who register for Ph.D. and masters degree by full research at UUM. The financial assistantships for UUM Postgraduate students are as follows:
Universiti Utara Malaysia Assistantship Scheme
Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme (CAS/ COB/ COLGIS/ CEDI/ IMBRE/IPDM/NCRC)
Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) Scheme
Doctoral Research Officer Scheme
UUM Vice Chancellor Scholarship Scheme
Please refer to the UUM Academic Affairs Department for more information on scholarship opportunities.
10. For a student, are there any accommodation that UUM provide?
As a campus situated far from the madding crowd, UUM has ensured that its students do not want for adequate accommodation.
At present, UUM has 15 Student Residential Halls (SRH), which, all together, house 20,000 students. The SRHs are named after Malaysian companies, institutions, and organisations of repute, namely
- TENAGA NASIONAL,
- SIME DARBY,
- YAYASAN ALBUKHARY,
- BANK MUAMALAT,
- BANK RAKYAT, and
- SME BANK.
Should you have any other questions which the answer could not be found here, please submit it using the feedback form.